Surgery Coordinator Positions Available
POSITION: Surgery Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Clinic Manager
JOB SUMMARY: This individual is responsible for assisting the patient with all aspects of pre-operative preparations in order to promote patient confidence in their medical care and to make the surgical experience as smooth as possible; acts as a liaison between the office, surgical facility, patient and primary care physician.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent; some college preferred.
- Two years’ experience in a surgical specialty practice, ophthalmology preferred.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organization with attention to detail.
- Analytical problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated computer literacy.
- Capability of meeting patient surgical scheduling volumes as established by the lead technician.
- Acts as an effective liaison between the patient, surgeon, primary care physician, and the surgical facility in all aspects of pre-operative preparations.
- Schedules all patient surgeries and pre-operative appointments, including those with the patient’s primary care physician, surgical facility, ophthalmologist or technician.
- Schedules post-operative appointments as appropriate.
- Arranges patient transportation if necessary.
- Notifies patient of all scheduled appointments.
- Prepares surgery folders and post-op kits.
- Sends appropriate H&P forms, labs, EKGs, and radiology needs to primary care physician.
- Collects all pertinent information for upcoming surgery, such as bookings, lens orders, insurance, H&Ps, and signed consent forms, and transfers to surgical facility.
- Answers all telephone inquiries from patients, their families, or primary care physicians concerning surgery and/or related concerns.
- Contacts patient two days prior to surgery advising them about their arrival time at the hospital, answering any questions, and reminding them of any changes in their medications.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.