POSITION: Surgical Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Surgery Department
REPORTS TO: Office/Surgery Manager
Job Summary: This individual is responsible for scheduling and facilitating all patient surgical appointments with necessary physician and facility in a professional and courteous manner, ensuring the patient feels welcome to the practice and continues coming here to receive top quality care, and monitoring physician-scheduling templates to maximize efficiency.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years minimum experience in medical practice.
Essential Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work as a team member, with flexibility to assist the surgical coordinator with pre-ops and measurements.
- Ability to effectively triage calls from patients to ensure appropriate scheduling.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Empathetic personality giving attention to patients’ needs and concerns.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Respectful treatment of patients.
- Acts as an effective liaison between the patient, surgical technician, surgeon, primary care physician, and the surgical facility in all aspects of pre-operative preparations.
- Schedules all patient surgeries and pre and post-operative appointments, including those with the surgical facility, ophthalmologist or technician.
- Notifies patient of all schedule changes. Cancels and reschedules appointments, as necessary; follows-up on no shows.
- Answers all telephone inquiries from patients, their families, or primary care physicians concerning surgery and/or related concerns.
- Prepares charts for pre-op appointments with H&Ps and Orders after scheduling.
- Verify insurance coverage, copays, benefits and pre-authorizations.
- Requests and ensures medical pre-authorizations are completed.
- Collects all pertinent information for upcoming surgery, such as bookings, lens orders, insurance, H&Ps, and signed consent forms, and transfers to surgical facility.
- Sends reservations for any upcoming surgery dates for all out-patient facilities; reservation should be sent 2 weeks prior to surgery, and no less than 1 week
- Sends appropriate IOL orders, consents, H&Ps, labs, and clearances to surgery centers; should be sent 1 week prior to surgery, and no less than 4 business days
- Reviews the surgery schedules for changes, add-on and cancelations; communicates changes with surgery facilities in a timely manner.
- Confirmation calls, with patients and surgery centers
- Provide surgeons with updated Surgery Packets: Last DFE, HP, Medications, Operative Reports, IOL orders and other applicable tests (Pentacams, etc.)
- Enters all cataract surgery patients into ORA; update ORA weekly with post-op information
- Surgery billing and ensure all operative reports have been received
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
CATARACT A’s & K’s and PRE-OP ASSISTANCE:
- Perform accurate and consistent measurements
Tasks to include:
- Nidek AL
2. Calculates accurate IOL orders for physicians to review.
3. Discusses IOL options with patient and document discussion with patient remarks and/or concerns.
4. Pre-Op Review medical history and medications; Review instructions, consents and financials.
5. Provide patient with prescriptions needed for surgery.
LASER AND CORNEAL SURGERY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Pre-Op: Review medical history and medications; Review instructions, consents and financials. (Patient should be given an option of a phone pre-op versus in-office pre-op)
- Provide patient with prescriptions needed for procedures.